A new year, a new foodblogswap. I got the Dutch blog Duizenden1dag of Martine assigned. A recipe from my website is going to be made by Lysanne of the Dutch blog Joansstory (indeed the soft buns foodblogswap was a recipe of her blog). After some search at Martines website, which contains numerous different recipes, I discovered a recipe that gives me such a great childhood memory: Rendan eggs, original from Indonesia.
My neighbor from my young years was married to an Indonesian man. Every birthday party there was a table filled with Indonesian appetizers. And I that was just on the right moment, because whole week I was smelling all the preparations, and it smelled amazing. On the birthday party there were a lot of plates full with delicious treats, but my favorite were the rendang eggs. I didn’t retrieve the recipe, until this foodblog swap. So Martine thanks a lot for sharing, I’ve enjoyed this recipe so much!
- 10 eggs;
- 75 grams creamed coconut and 200 mL water;
- 0,25 liter vegetable stock;
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onions;
- 1 clove finely chopped garlic;
- 1 teaspoon sambal;
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger;
- 1 teapsoon tumeric;
- 1 teaspoon laos;
- 1 piece of lemon grass.
Boil the eggs (10 minutes in boiling water) and let them cool down to room temperature. In a saute pan put the creamed coconut, water, stock, sambal, laos, tumeric and ginger. Bruise the lemon grass and lay on top. Boil that mixture for 10 minutes. Meanwhile peel the eggs and with the skewer puncture holes in the egg, so it will take in a lot of flavor. Lay the eggs in the sauce and drip some sauce on the eggs. Let it simmer for 20 minutes, until the sauce thickens. Make sure to drip the eggs every 5 minutes, to get a lot of taste.
Tips and tricks:
- These eggs can be prepared a day before you want to eat them and will be even more delicious because al the flavors are even better developed. Store them in the refrigerator and warm on low heat
- I’ve got eggs from my own girls. Make sure you use a bit older eggs, they will peel a bit easier.