A delicious oven dish: this recipe for roast chicken with potatoes from the oven. The spices and added bacon gives it a lot of great flavouring.
The best chicken is most of the times a whole chicken roast. The chicken becomes tender, juicy and the meat slides of the bone. It’s also a cheap way, because a whole chicken is cheaper than a chicken breast. And you’ve got leftovers that can easily be used in other meals (like: chicken stock, which can be used as a base in numerous recipes). And an extra plus roasted chicken smells great!
A chicken in the oven gives a great flavor which spreads through the house. When it’s cold outside and you go in and get a scent of roasted chicken you warming-up immediately (and you get hungry in an instant).
The only difficult part in the preparation of whole chicken is that the whole chicken has to be done. Nothing is more annoying then to put the chicken on the table and it’s still slightly raw on the inside. A no go in food safety.Therefor I always use a thermometer. But I also use a good trick of Jamie Oliver (the lemon trick). And that trick is written down on the recipe below, that’s adapted from Jamie Oliver.
- you put a hot lemon in the cavity of the chicken it wil create steam and will also cook the chicken from the inside.
- you do not have a meat thermometer, grab a thick needle and stick it deep in the thickest part of the chicken. Then press on the chicken flesh so moisture will come out of the needle opening. If that liquid is clear, then the chicken is done.
- Fresh herbs are best, so you use as these are available. But otherwise you can use dried herbs instead (1 teaspoon of each).
Recipe: Roasted chicken with roast potatoes
- Whole chicken
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bulb garlic
- 2 sprigs Rosemary
- Rosevall potato
- 10 slices bacon
- Mix 2 tablespoons olive oil with the butter, salt and pepper.
- Rub the chicken inside out with the mixture and put back in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
- Wash the potatoes and slice them in half and afterwards quarter each half.
- Heat salted water and when boiling add the potatoes, lemon and garlic.
- Bring back to a boil and cook for 10 minutes.
- Pour the water out, get the lemon and garlic out and dry the potatoes on low heat for half a minute.
- With a knife punch the lemon and put it in the back of the chicken.
- Add the garlic and the thyme and oregano.
- Lay the chicken in the oven dish and put in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Get the chicken from the oven and put on a plate.
- Take the potato wedges and lay in the chicken fat in the oven dish.
- Get the needles of the rosemary sprigs and mix with the potatoes.
- Make a whole in the middle and put the chicken back. Take bacon slices and package the chicken with the bacon. Cover it well.Put everything back in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Check if the chicken is done with the thermometer and get it out of the oven.
- Take the lemon, garlic, thyme and oregano from the inside of the chicken.
- Mix the garlic with a drip of lemon juice and a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Take the bacon of the chicken and crumble above the potatoes.
- Smear the chicken with the garlic mixture and cover the chicken with foil so the chicken can rest and flavor can develop.
- Serve! This dish is great when accompanied with carrots or green beans!
More from my site
This post is also available in: Dutch